Type: Mark IV Recon Droid
Degree: Second Degree
Class: Surveillance Droid
Sensor Color: Red
Plating Color: Black
Personality Module: Simple
Search: Tracking 5D+1
• Visual and auditory sensors
• Telescopic vision (the droid’s visual sensors include a long range capability)
• Improved sensor package (+2 bonus to all search skill rolls)
• Infrared vision (the droid can see in the dark up to 30 meters)
• Low light vision (the droid can see twice as far as a human in dim light)
• Repulsorlift unit (ground level up to 100 meters)
• Comlink (50 km up to orbit)
• Blaster (5D, range: 3-30/100/300)
• Internal orbital strike beacon with a high-power transmitter (requires two rounds to activate)
• Self-destruct system (the droid will self-destruct/explode under predetermined circumstances)
• Locked access (the droid’s shut-down switch is secured or internally located)
Cost: 16,000 (new) 8,000 used
Availability: 2 or 3, F, R or X
Background: All Mark IV recon droids were equipped with a standard blaster. In addition, these units were either also equipped with a self-destruct mechanism or an orbital strike beacon that could be activated remotely by the droid’s owner. The self-destruct mechanism would blast the droid apart to pieces, and at the same time cause a destructive explosion capable of immediately killing or destroying any troops and droids unfortunate enough to be caught within the blast radius. Once initiated, the self-destruct mechanism could not be deactivated even by the droid’s owner. However, it takes about five seconds for the droid to self-destruct, during this time it would become immobile and an easy target for any soldier quick enough to destroy it before it blew up.
Separatist droid snipers’ Mark IV recon droids had an orbital strike beacon rather than a self-destruct mechanism. It could call upon a small orbital strike from any allying starships in orbit of the planet or moon. This device also required a few seconds to power up, but unlike the self-destruct mechanism, it was completely mobile even when it was activated. This device was just as devastating as the self-destruct mechanism, but the orbital strike did not always hit its targets.
It should be noted that the Mark IV recon droid was identical to the R-1 recon droid, as well as the R-4 recon droid. Its design was also similar to that of a DRK-1 probe droid, and it is possible that it was based on the Dark Eye probe.